When heirloom apples start showing up, it’s a sign that fall is just around the corner. Apples are generally available year-round, but heirloom apples and new season domestic crop are here for the next few months with new varieties popping up weekly. Here are a few suggestions to keep your apple displays interesting and fun throughout the season.
- Decorative Baskets: Use decorative display baskets to create multiple levels. They are also great to use when making smaller displays to feature several types of heirloom apples. Baskets are great to use if you are carrying different varieties that look very similar. Don’t forget to place signage on the baskets!
- Color Breaks: Avoid grouping similar colors together. This helps distinguish all the different varieties stand out.
- Cross Merchandise with Cheese: Cheese is an easy complementary item that pairs well with apples. Dry cheeses like Parmigiano-Reggiano can sit out of refrigeration for short periods of time which makes them a perfect cross merchandising item in any display.
- Make Fall Themed Displays: California pears and hard squash are also coming into season. These can be displayed together to construct attractive fall themed displays.
- Thanksgiving Displays: As we approach Thanksgiving, make a baking themed display featuring pie apples like Pink Lady and Granny Smith. This is a great way to promote apples and keep them moving when customers are starting to focus and plan for the upcoming holiday.