Bananas are your produce department VIPs, your number one selling item, so it’s very important to store, handle merchandise properly. For retail stores, aim to stock #4 color and #5 color bananas and possibly a few greener #3 color bananas. Here are a few tips to help keep your bananas looking sharp!
- Upon arrival, open the cases and pull back the plastic to allow air flow. This will keep your bananas from sweating and becoming over ripe.
- Clean and rotate your banana display. Wipe down the display surface and keep it clear from any build up and debris.
- Display bananas with rounded side down.
- Place greener fruit on the bottom and top with riper fruit
- Don’t stack too high. Two layers high is perfect!
- Bananas are fragile, handle with care.
- If you are hanging your bananas on a rack, hang with rounded side facing out
Not sure about which color correlates to banana ripeness? Check out our Banana Ripening Chart.