Response to COVID-19
We are closely monitoring the guidance of the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control regarding the spread of (COVID-19) and abiding by city, state and federal mandates as required of essential businesses. We will continue to communicate regularly about what we’re doing to keep our staff and community safe during this time.
San Francisco Order Requiring Masks
People in San Francisco must wear a face covering outside in most circumstances under a new health order announced by Mayor Breed. Face coverings are now required when someone is exercising within 30 feet of another person, or walking past someone else
New VV Mask Policy
All members of the public entering VV facilities must wear a mask or face covering. This applies to will call pick-ups, common carrier drivers, repair personnel, or anyone else entering. Additional signage has been posted at building entrances about this new policy.
If a visitor does not have a mask, extra cloth face coverings are available for hand out.
Impact on Our Business
As an essential food business, we have remained open. During Shelter-In-Place, we have adapted operations and protocols to keep our staff and community safe. To date, we’ve made the following changes:
- Partnered with one of our growers to create a biodynamic disinfectant spray for use in our facilities.
- Sourced organic, reusable face coverings for every one of our staff members.
- Implemented a no signature policy for deliveries to reduce contact.
- Outfitted our trucks with sanitation caddies which include disinfectant, hand sanitizer and gloves.
- Modified our sanitation processes in our warehouses and with our fleet of trucks.
- Adjusted our operations and work stations to allow our staff to practice social distancing while working.
- Scheduled work from home, whenever possible.
Impact on the Organic Trade
The organic produce trade is unsettled. Many sectors of the food system have closed down entirely, while retail grocery surged for several weeks. Supply has also been volatile, due to winter weather and dramatic increases in demand. On the trucking side, we saw heavier than normal produce shipments in line with increased demand at stores. Skilled labor shortages continue to threaten all areas of the food system– farm workers, truck drivers, and retail personnel; at the same time unprecedented numbers of hospitality, restaurant, and bar workers have been laid off. The pandemic is still in its early stages; the full impact on our trade is still unknown.
We’re in this Together
As your distribution partner, we are committed to doing everything we can to support you. We are actively monitoring the news and new mandates and we will continue to keep you informed and updated. As always, we welcome ways we can support you by answering your questions or sharing resources. Please let us know what you need, we can work with you to help your business get through this crisis.
Our hearts go out to the people and communities who have been affected by this tragedy. Our community is resilient; we’re confident that together, we will come out of this on the other side.
Thank you for your continued business.
VV Response to COVID-19
At Veritable Vegetable, we are closely monitoring the guidance of the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control regarding the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Be assured that we are doing everything possible to keep our communities safe by implementing enhanced protocols to protect and keep safe our customers, staff and product.
- All staff who are sick or feeling as if they are getting sick, or have sick family member are instructed to stay home and not come into work.
- All staff have been instructed to wash hands even more frequently than food safety standards require and use hand sanitizer as needed.
- Warehouse workers and drivers are practicing frequent hand washing, use of hand sanitizer, and utilizing sanitation best practices when using equipment and handling cases of product.
- Our Janitorial staff are taking extra steps to disinfect all touch surfaces throughout our facilities.
- Staff members are also regularly disinfecting all touch surfaces throughout our offices and warehouse facilities throughout their shifts.
- Maintenance staff are replacing all HVAC filters on a much more frequent basis.
- We have enhanced the techniques used to clean our vehicles before during and after our truck routes.
- All non-essential work-related travel has been restricted.
- Visits to our facility that are not critical to our operation have been restricted.
We have increased supply of antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizer, gloves, masks, and disinfectant sprays and solutions to meet our needs for the foreseeable future. We are also continually educating ourselves on the current situation and are open to other ideas and suggestions to help reduce our customer’s and staff’s exposure to any potential illness.
It is important to note that COVID-19 is not considered a foodborne pathogen by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
During this challenging time, your safety is our highest priority and we truly appreciate the trust you place in our team at Veritable Vegetable.