Memorial Day is the official kick-off to summer weather and eating outdoors. Everyone is looking forward to getting outside and celebrating the holiday weekend. Customers are looking for foods that are easy to take along on their outdoor adventures, BBQs and picnics. Here are some ways to prepare your stores for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday:
- Must Haves: Corn and watermelons are in high demand for Memorial Day celebrations! If you can’t accommodate a bin of full-sized watermelons, bring in cases of mini watermelons. These are great because they are smaller and easier to transport for small outdoor gatherings. Drop bins of melons outside the store if possible. Another great location is right inside the door to greet customers as they come into your store. Corn should also be displayed in high-traffic areas–just make sure to keep on ice to maintain freshness.
- Stock Up on Stone Fruit: Customers will be looking for seasonal items like cherries, peaches, nectarines, and apricots. Not only are these exciting and new, but they are also easy to transport to outdoor celebrations.
- Grill-Ready Produce: Many customers will be looking to BBQ for the holiday weekend. Build a large display for grill-ready items including spring onions, mushrooms, zucchini, pineapple, asparagus and corn.
- Berries: Although strawberries and blueberries have been around for a few months, there is never a holiday that berries are not in high demand. Make sure to have plenty on hand and cross-merchandise with shortbread cookies, pound cakes, yogurt, and whipped cream to encourage fruit-inspired dessert purchases.
- Cross-Merchandise: Bring in items like corn skewers and melon ballers to work into your produce displays. Try incorporating other picnic and BBQ-related items like reusable cloth napkins, insulated bags, cases of sparkling waters, beer, packaged dates, and nuts. Think of foods that travel well and any supplies that might be needed.