Our values are the basic principles that guide all decisions we make at Veritable Vegetable. They come from within us, bind us together, and help us navigate the challenges of our time.
Leadership by Women
We know raising women up raises all people. As a women-led business, we apply a systems-thinking approach to solving complex problems. Collaboration, cooperation and deep listening are critical. We are committed to sharing our resources and knowledge, creating an inclusive workplace, and modeling effective women’s leadership.
- 45% of staff are women; we offer unlimited opportunities for women
- Robust training program & professional development for all staff; promote from within
- Long-term reciprocal relationships, in business & beyond
- Participatory working groups & task forces to address workplace challenges
- Share best practices with national networks
We are either going to have a future where women lead the way to make peace with the Earth or we are not going to have a human future at all. –Vandana Shiva
We are all responsible for our shared future. As a social enterprise, we consider the environmental, social, political and financial implications of every business decision. We demonstrate this commitment though our B-Corp Certification.
- Cultivate an inclusive & healthy workplace by supporting staff well-being
- Reinvest surplus back into the company including wages & state-of-the-art equipment
- Embrace cultural & social diversity
- Offset 25% of energy use through our solar roof panels
- Divert 99% of our waste from landfills
- Run a near zero emission fleet of hybrid trucks and trailers
- We are a Certified California Green Business
- Joined the Climate Collaborative to reverse climate change
- Dedicated to being viable in perpetuity as a social enterprise
- Committed to autonomy & community control of local economies
- Customer diversity, no one customer represents more than 5% of our total revenue
- Activists for farmer protection, farm-land protection & farm-worker protection
- Share our wealth, experience & time
Let’s start off with food being free & not poisoned, and then see how many social justice issues remain. –Blair Frank
How we behave is as important as what work we do; to be authentic and compassionate is our ethical responsibility as citizens. We maintain transparency and fairness in all our relationships and transactions.
- Provide the highest return possible to our farmers
- Provide farm label visibility & accurate product quality information
- Support small to mid-sized, independent businesses and co-ops
- Certified B-Corp which means we’re committed to to our mission & values, rather than the bottom line
Trust is something woven, something you make together.
We deeply value the people who make up our community of growers, customers, colleagues, and staff. Our collective labor is fundamental to the organic trade and all social movements. Food justice and environmental justice are inseparable.
- Collaborate with like-minded organizations
- Actively advocate for policy change in food & agriculture
- Sponsor events & donate produce, logistics & staff time
- Mentor new businesses & food hubs
- Participate in conferences, webinars and think-tanks.
If you sit at my table and eat with me, you will know who I am.
We source and deliver the freshest and highest quality produce, with unmatched and dependable service. We are dedicated to continuous improvement; our visionary work to better the world will never be completed.
- Procure the highest quality fruits & vegetables on the market
- Invest in our staff by providing opportunities for growth & development
- Provide responsive, friendly customer service
- Continually redesign our internal systems, upgrading our tools & equipment
Lasting change is a series of compromises. And compromise is all right, as long as your values don’t change. –Jane Goodall
Our curiosity and agility have contributed to our longevity over the years. We take a ‘both/and’ approach to decision making and solving challenges. We find opportunities to be more effective and resilient at all levels of our business.
- Sustained our values-based business model since 1974
- Trailblazers in organic agriculture
- Solve problems creatively & with great flexibility
- Early adopters of technology & best practices
- Leaders in participatory business practices at every level of the company
Why not go out on a limb? That’s where the fruit is. –Mark Twain