September 30, 2022
Hard squash is an autumn must-have! Here are a few suggestions to get your customers excited about hard squash and keep them coming back to try all the varieties.
- Introduce new varieties in an endcap with ingredients used to prepare the squash. For instance, make a display with the Black Futsu squash and stuffing ingredients, such as walnuts, cranberries, onions, bagged quinoa, and olive oil to generate interest and provide inspiration. Include recipes as well.
- Use shelf talkers to discuss flavor notes, storage tips, and the best ways to prepare.
- Mixed bins are a fantastic way to lower your price point and draw attention, but they may be confusing for the novice squash customers. It’s always useful to provide small displays with individual varieties separated to educate shoppers about different types.
- Rotate the varieties you bring in. Keep one or two of the staples in stock and change out the others. This is also a great way to keep your customers happy with the standard Acorn or Butternut, while also introducing them to less familiar varieties, such as Black Futsu, Honeynut or Kabocha.
- Build displays with complimentary seasonal items like herbs, greens, mushrooms, leeks, apples, persimmons, pears, and pomegranates.